So, after playing around with cutting out the images that were already there I moved on. I wanted to create a story through cutting. So I used a very basic comic or sketch layout (images with borders) by cutting the negative space and let one or more basic figure in each. So that on each page there is a slightly different image of a male figure, alone and simple, but when you read all the pages together, or any number of pages it is completely different, as the mass of figures come together too. This is a rough image I took before I exhibited.
After the first book, I cut up another in the same way, although it was a much smaller book with thinner paper, which was a lot more difficult to do but worked just as well in the end. I ended up putting them both open on floating shelves for the exhibition. I also sewed together the cut out pieces from the book, to try and create a vice versa of the book and I hung these just above to show the insides and as an attempt to show a clearer idea of narrative.
'Cut Out' 2010
All in all though, the books themselves are much more successful than the stitched pieces.